5 things I wish I knew before I got into Internet Marketing
Today I have a very special post for you… it is a reflection on my internet marketing journey. I want to give you an insight of my mindset before and after I started Making Money Online. It is actually quite funny because, probably like anyone wanting to get into internet marketing, making money online or online business, I started with a similar approach of wanting to make millions overnight. The reality of it all is a bit different and I guess you have two kinds of people that will take different actions after they realize that fact – the ones that stop after a short while of having little to no success and the persistent ones that continue their journey, despite the failures and money lost…
Before I made a decision to dedicate myself to internet marketing and really make things work I had a similar mind frame – I wanted to Make Money Fast and without much work. It is very interesting how I’ve (and many other marketers) changed in the process…
Here are the 5 things I wish I knew before I got into Internet Marketing, without any particular order:
– No-one gets rich quick! In the music industry they have a saying that any overnight success takes at least 7 years of work… When it comes to internet marketing, it is definitely less than that but it really depends on how dedicated each individual is. More dedicated people that are willing to put in the hours to learn and master different methods and actually implement the strategies that they’ve learnt about are more likely to succeed faster. People that are sort of ‘hanging around’ will probably never make more than a few dollars online and they will be the ones to say that ‘this stuff doesn’t work’!
– You will work more rather than less! Many people get into online business with the ’30 minute work day’ in mind. The reality is that to master anything, it will take much more than 30 minutes a day, in fact it is more like several hours a day, every day! Once you have gained the skills and you’ll have the right systems in place it is possible to automate your business and run it on autopilot but… many internet marketers continue working 12h days – but the big difference is that this is their choice, they don’t Have To do it! Frank Kern once said something in the tone of ‘Why would you stop working if it’s so fun’ and I couldn’t agree more.
– Working at home isn’t easy! I loved the idea of waking up at whatever time I want, working in my pajamas and taking brakes without asking anyone for permission and yes, it is a much more relaxing work environment than a busy office, for example. But the truth is that you have to be quite self-motivated and organized to pull it off! There are no schedules, no supervisor to make sure that you’re actually working and not browsing YouTube or Facebook and there’s also your family that will interrupt you frequently! Without creating a system of working at home, I’d be probably 75% less effective during my work days – especially with my 6 months old daughter which needs constant attention!
– Relationships are everything! Before I saw any kind of success online, I foolishly thought that I could succeed on my own. In the ‘real world’ you need contacts, connections, friends and business partners in order to succeed and that’s nothing new, right? Well, the online business world it is actually exactly the same! I had some success on my own but it was only after I started to connect with other internet marketers, helping out each other and learn together in the process, I was able to take my online business to the next level. And the best part of it is that I treat my ‘online friends’ as I’d treat any real life friend and they do the same!
– You can’t do it all yourself! When I first started I wanted to control everything in my online business and do it all – create websites, content, graphics, video, audio etc. Firstly I did it because I really like learning new skills and secondly to save money, especially in the beginning. Soon I found out that even after spending 10 hours trying to create a simple banner in Photoshop for example, the results weren’t even close to what I had in mind… That’s why I learnt to outsource things I’m not an expert in and focus on the things I like doing and am good at! Even if I’d be very good in all of these things, there are just so many hours in the day and delegating is one of the most important skills in this business if you want to achieve massive success!
So that’s it, these are the five things I wish I knew before I got into internet marketing… I really hope that this article will help you in some way – I wish someone would write something like this and send it to me when I was first starting out!
Please share it with your friends if you found it interesting or valuable 🙂
As always, if you have any questions, concerns or maybe you’d just like to say ‘Hi’, send me an email and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
Catch you later,